William Stillman provides a range of services to STEPS which are valued for his "inside-out" perspective as an adult with Asperger's Syndrome. Bill provides individualized student consultations, staff mentoring, community outreach (including higher education, neighboring school districts, police and medical staff), and presentations, both in-house and open to STEPS families. Bill also hosts our quarterly Dad's Night forums.
Bill's goals as STEPS' autism consultant are:
- Nurture and cultivate staff talent
- Empower parents and staff with autism cultural competency
- Shatter myths and stereotypes about autism
- Foster positive parent-child and staff-student relationships
- Decrease extremes in "behaviors" in terms of "communications"
- Impart low- and no-costs skills, techniques and strategies
- Explore transition to adulthood and employment opportunities
- Identify each students' gifts and talents