Welcome to STEPS Center for Excellence in Autism
STEPS is a Provider for the Ohio Department of Education's Autism Scholarship Program
Autism Scholarship Program »
Guiding Principles of STEPS
(1) Honoring the child. We focus on a person- centered philosophy. Our therapists take time to develop a meaningful relationship with each child; it is our belief that in order to teach a child, we need to understand the child as whole. This includes addressing the unique sensory, emotional and communication needs of each child.
(2) Believing in the potential of each child that we service: At STEPS we presume the competence of each child, and realize that intellect is not measured by the ability to verbally communicate.
(3) Recognizing the importance of creating a positive atmosphere. We understand that creating a positive atmosphere promotes success and achievement in the children that we service.
(4) Recognizing the value of using research-based teaching methods, as well as collecting and analyzing data in order to determine effectiveness of methods we use. We believe that this can successfully be combined with a humanistic person-centered approach in how we view and understand the children that we service.
(5) Understanding that the children that we service need to be taught, not changed. We honor the individual differences that each child brings.
(6) Educating the community on autism. It is our goal to educate the community on autism so the individuals that we service can successfully participate in community activities outside of STEPS. It is our belief that if more people understood autism, they would be more likely to recognize and accept our mutual differences and similarities.
(7) Interest based curriculum: STEPS academic curriculum is inspired by each child's unique interest, and is individualized to meet their needs. We challenge our students to grow academically by continually exposing them to age-appropriate curriculum.